Position: Multi-Client Nonprofit Accountant
Employment Status: Full-Time
Compensation Method: Salaried
Accountable To: Managing Member
This position, reporting to the Managing Member, is accountable for a portfolio of 5-10 Missionwell clients including their systems and processes, tax and regulatory requirements, payroll and accounting & controls, ongoing financial reporting, analysis, business modeling & annual business plan and customer satisfaction. The person may supervise one or more bookkeeping and/or administrative staff. After building trust with the client, provides information and coaching on accounting and financial matters.
The company uses MS Dynamics GP or Quick Books for accounting software and standardizes operations where practical across all clients. This position also recommends and implements approved changes to improve standardized business operations across all client operations.
Deliver Service Agreement commitments with excellent customer service while adhering to contractual hours.
- Reviews own hours and team hours against approved client hours.
- Identifies and solves problems of overages in hours promptly, and refers issues and solutions to Managing Member
- Ensures own time & billing and that of team accurately reflect billable work and other agreed tracking items.
- Coordinates the set up of new client accounts including download of accounting data from a variety of systems, remapping it to a new chart of accounts, uploading the data either to Quick Books or Great Plains, and writing/amending reports as required.
- Performs other work related to new client set ups, including establishment of gift handling rules, work flow calendars, organization of new client files, and more.
Identifies new or improved business services for clients, and works with Managing Member to pursue.
Reviews client satisfaction surveys and implements changes to increase satisfaction.
Prepares analysis to support each clients’ annual renewal of Services.
Transaction Processing and Financial Controls:
Responsible for the delivery of costs effective and efficient transaction processing, accounting and financial reporting. These functions may be performed directly or delegated to the team and supervised.
- Receive and post transactions and journal entries. Handle donation processing and other revenue transactions. Process expense reports for clients. Process payroll. Prepare schedules for monthly closing. Reconcile bank statements and other key controlling accounts.
If Compliance package elected, ensure client’s compliance calendar is up to date and prepare regulatory forms according to the compliance calendar.
Engage CPAs (using strategic vendor procedures) as necessary for preparation of certain client tax reports and audits, as required by client.
- Ensure Missionwell’s clients are in compliance with their own internal policies.
- Implement non-profit best practices.
Cash and Risk Management:
- Suggest Insurance and Risk Management vendors via Missionwell’s approved vendor strategy.
- Oversee client annual insurance renewal process; ensure appropriate coverage is maintained.
- Review contracts and advise clients to obtain legal advice as required.
- Monitor client’s cash flow and advise of liquidity or investment issues. Move funds between client bank accounts, renew CDs and perform other cash management as instructed by client.
Team Leadership (if supervising one or more employees):
- Ensure the team delivers the highest standard of customer service.
- Ensure team follows Missionwell work protocols and standardized processes, which have been established to provide assurance of quality operations across all eventual teams.
- Compile and maintain own (and team’s) elements of agreed Missionwell scorecards.
- Provide coaching, guidance and support, set professional development plans to assist employees to reach their full potential through the Performance Management process.
Financial and Management Reporting:
- Prepare GAAP-compatible financial statements for client monthly.
- Develop and prepare Management Reporting for clients, if elected.
- Develop and prepare a weekly Reporting Package.
- If elected by client, present monthly and year-to-date financials with accompanying analysis of results vs. prior year and/ or budget
- Develop regular reporting and analysis, including key metrics reports, and conduct ad hoc financial analysis as requested
- Present results to client and/or board as requested.
Budgeting and Financial Modeling:
- Support client’s annual business plan development and budgeting process and periodic outlook process, typically by directly developing budget, or preparing templates for client to complete.
- Provide client consulting, financial modeling and analysis to clients to support performance goals, development of long term strategic initiatives and business plans
- Special Projects as assigned by Managing Member.
Responsibilities are expected to periodically shift and be rebalanced and/or refocused. Flexibility is required to accommodate the entrepreneurial and customer focused business environment.
You will interface with clients, including client Staff, Volunteers, Managers and Directors; and Strategic Vendors & Other Client Vendors. Strategic vendors include Summit HR & Payroll, Bank of America, ECCU and others.
Influence and Interpersonal Effectiveness:
- Relationship building and rapport skills
- Influencing and networking skillsAble to work with and through volunteer/expert relationships and associations and alliances
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Trusted – commits to work and than delivers on the commitment on time
- Ability to grasp Missionwell’s clients short and long term priorities and develop systems, processes and policies to support the achievement of them in a cost effective manner.
- Understands how to prioritize and focuses time and resources against the key business priorities
Strategic thinking and planning skills:
- Experience with strategy development and implementation desirable
- Good business judgment
- Ability to plan and lead projects through to the end
Managing and Leading:
- Able to build effective teams, coach and develop others
- A self-starter who takes initiative as appropriate and completes the work
- Careful and detailed in work and documentation of work.
- Accounting skills: at least 5 years working knowledge in accounting and finance. Non-profit experience helpful.
- Sound knowledge compliance regulations for organizations working within the not-for-profit sect
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative style and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within time constraints
- Knowledge of Financial and ERP systems – MS Dynamics GP preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Quick Books software